Disclaimer: this article is my own opinion and research and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions, beliefs,strategies or opinions.
A key buzzword round IBM and in the Cognitive world is ‘Watson’. Watson is a super computer which combines advanced Artificial Intelligence and analytical software for unprecedented performance as a “question answering” machine. Watson is named after IBM’s founder, Thomas J. Watson.
Basically, Watson parses questions into different keywords and sentence fragments in order to find statistically related phrases. It then searches its extensive databases for results and answers the user’s question or input with high accuracy. The more you use Watson, the smarter it gets as it learns from your input! Watson can be used as chatbots, to improve customer service and as cognitive analytics system amongst multiple other uses.
Here’s a great introduction video about how Watson works;
Watson originally rose to fame when it won the US show Jeopardy in 2011 against former winners Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings. You can view the win below;
A further in-depth study can be found Here
The videos below also offer a deeper insight into Watson’s capabilities.
- Introduction to what Watson can do – https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZDyxLlNKRY_Jgb_1FI5P7LwQ6gCKrZYS
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FikHwoJ6_FE&list=PLZDyxLlNKRY8Bb-vnoX6r0HoOyPzmViBX&index=30 – Building with Watson – A Technical Intro to Watson Discovery Service
Today Watson offers a variety of services as detailed below;
Watson has been used by the medical, business and even fashion industries in a variety of ways. You can discover different cases of Watson in action – Here
Check out a tonne of more information about Watson and Cognitive on the IBM Youtube channels;
- IBM Watson Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/IBMWatsonSolutions/playlists
- IBM Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/IBM/playlists
- IBM Research https://www.youtube.com/user/IBMLabs/playlists
I hope you learnt a bit more about Watson- ‘Til the next time!
IBM Business Consultant